Adventures in a new land

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Mexico: A Rich Cultural & Culinary Experience

We sent the girls this summer to spend one month in Guadalajara with my parents so that they could:
A. Improve their Spanish
B. Meet more of their family in Mexico
C. Experience some of the culture, and
D. Experience some of the rich culinary treats down there.
Here's the girls favorite place so far in Guadalajara:
The MALL!!!? (#&%@!).... so much for the cultural experience.... and their favorite store in the mall?......

The candy store, go figure....

Well, at least they are having a rich culinary experience down there eating all the delicious Mexican food (because, if you've heard me talk about this, you'll know that Guadalajara has the BEST Mexican food of the whole country)....

PETER PIPER PIZZA !!? (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo!) ....... well,, at least they went there with their cousins Pablo and Ana Paula..... I don't even want to ask about how is their Spanish going!

Meanwhile, every time they go to the farm, they continue to have a poor poor, miserable time we wonder if they are ever going to forgive us for sending them there, just look at the misery on their faces.....

Harvesting Persimmons ( I stand corrected, turns out that it was not persimmons as I had originally posted, they are wild mushrooms they picked in the forest with their nonna!)

Syd learning the art of shooting (this may come in handy here, we can send her out to hunt a pua'a once in a while...Macario, would you take her with you ?)just look at the suffering reflected on that poor kid's faceBut what about Hana?.....apparently she did not want anything to do with a rifle, that does not go along with her lady-like personality.....

she was perfectly fine with watching the brutal sport of shooting from the sidelines under her parasol...

Instead she opted to learn how to sew and knit!

TA DA!- "Hmmm, I think I'm better at shooting things than this...."With their uncles and auntie (my cousins) Erik, Gabriel (aka Huevo -egg: see shape of his head), Chanclas and Marisa
some one's dog...building a fort with her cousin Aldo

Strawberry on a spoon races at the farm with Carla, Guero and their cousinsPracticing for their audition with a Mexican Traveling Circus....


Saltando la burra...(Mexican kids game)...

Yes, that is a boogie board in the background, and no, there is no ocean at the farm. Apparently they use it to as a sled down a grass slope.....probably my brother's idea...(and again a correction is needed here, it was not my crazy brother's idea to throw them down a grass hill on a boogie board, but their nonna's...)

"Look kids, you put your take off ramp on that side of the stream and the landing on this side and.....huh? we're not doing anything!".....don't know what Chanclas may be teaching them here, but I'm sure he's up to no good!


GRACIAS NONNA!

4 Comments:

At 4:51 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

What a great summer they are having with their grandparents and other family!!! It looks absolutely wonderful.

Re: learning Spanish, do their cousins speak English? I hope not, at least for the sake of Sydney and Hana's Spanish.

It truly looks like a magical summer. And now that we know Cata, I know it is everything it seems and more. I'm so glad they are doing that!

Leslie

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger Romos at Hilo said...

Hi Leslie:

I believe their cousins do not speak english, or at least not that much, which means they have been communicating in spanglish most of the time, which is good, so their spanish should be getting un poquito better...
Maybe one of these day we ALL can go and spend a summer there (I will spare you the cultural trip to the mall and Peter Piper Pizza though)...

;-)

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

let me tell you, first, it was not persimmons, it was mushrooms!!! the first ones, and second the board idea was not from chanclas it was my IDEA, JEJE
love for everybody there
I'm so happy with the girls here
Nonna

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Romos at Hilo said...

well.....there you go, they're picking mushrooms with their nonna (let's hope they don't trip too far on them)AND she's throwing them down a grass hill on a boogie board.....wonder what's next!

enjoy them and send them back in one piece please

rr

 

Post a Comment

<< Home