Adventures in a new land

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Who'll Stop the Rain


It ha been raining the last 2-3 days like crazy! even the locals are saying that they had not seen anything like this since the 80's (Charlotte heard that on the radio).

It began a couple of days ago and it has not stopped (it stops for little whiles). Curious to seeing how much it has been raining I decided to put out a container outside today at 10:00 AM. At 4:00 PM I collected the container and measured how much water was in it: 6.7 liters.

The container has an opening with a radius of 12.065 cm, which gives it an area of 457.07cm2. Given that the formula for volume for a cylindrical container is V=AxH and since we know A and V it was easy to figure out that the height was 14.65 cm which equals 5.77 inches (simple math).

So, in 6 hours we received 5.77 inches of rain, and that is not counting the rain of the past two days, and it is still raining. I guess we must've received between 12 and 18 inches of rain in the past 48 hours.....I have set out a bigger container outside....

Oh, we also finished grouting the tiles in the kitchen, looks REALLY cool!

Sunday, Feb 3, 2008, 10:00 AM: Rainfall Update

We collected an extra 7.75" of rain since yesterday at 4:00PM, making the rain accumulation for the past 24 hours a total of 13.52", and yes, it is still raining.....

5 Comments:

At 6:40 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

Love the video (and song). And your kitchen, too.

Check out my blog. Curiously, I wrote on the same topic today! What are the odds!

Leslie

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

Hey Rodrigo, by the way--Macario says that when Emma Rose starts learning math, he's sending her to you!

Leslie

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Romos at Hilo said...

well, seeing how the only thing to do is watch the rain (plenty of it) i'd say the odds of people writing, talking, filming, thinking, breathing, drining, soaking, rain are pretty high....

About math, BRING HER ON!!! we'll teach her how to calculate the thrust from a diet coke/mentos bottle rocket and all kinds of useless but extremely fun stuff!

;-)
rr

 
At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The kitchen is so cool! Congratulations!
and of course is the perfect weather for read a lot of books and watch movies, I love this kind of weather!
Nonna

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger JKLMnoP@Xs.fam said...

The kitchen looks fantastic! The rain is amazing! I can't wait until we can come for a visit and enjoy some Margaritas in that kitchen. Hugs, Meg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home