Adventures in a new land

Friday, November 30, 2007

Seared Ahi....

Syd went out on a sleepover tonight and Hana had a friend over for a sleepover. Charlotte made them some chicken and french fries while her and I decided to indulge ourselves with some sashimi grade seared ahi and a sunomono salad (japanese cucumber salad).

I've been working on this recipe for some time, and it keeps getting better........
Start with a block of sashimi grade ahi, coat it with a little bit of sesame seed oil and chili oil. Then cover it with a generour layer of Panko (Japanese style bread crumbs) and with Iri-Goma (roasted sesame seeds, the black kind) and regular sesame seeds.
Heat a heavy cast iron skillet to very very hot drizzle a little bit (a very little bit) of sesame seed oil and quickly sear the ahi on it (about 30 secs per side).
Take out, cut in slices (about 1/4 inch thick) and sprinle with green onions.
The dipping sauce is made with soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, chili oil, fresh grated ginger and a little bit of horse-radish (I didn't have guasave).....
hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmmm!

4 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HMMM it sound great, I want to try it, tell me what kind of fish can I find here.
We just came back from Puerto Vallarta, is an other city than you remember, it's so big and plenty of restaurants and hotel, pretty and a great place to eat well, but we prefer the ol Vallarta.
kisses for everybody
Nonna

 
At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see that nothing is newsworthy compared with the amazingly beautiful seared ahi. I personally would love to see a picture of tiger. Char says he's enormous. I was looking back through your blog history yesterday (since there hasn't been any news in a bit and I live vicariously in a warm paridise through you. Thanks for the blog, I really don't mean to complain). there is a picture of Rodrigo & Tiger on his laptop. It was a very nice photo as Rodrigo has a Cary Grant look going in it. I hear Tiger is growing exponetially while Angus shrinks( sorry to hear, but as he's 100 years old, I guess it makes sense. what a drag it is getting old...).
Best wishes from the frozen land of lake effect snow,

Kelly

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Romos at Hilo said...

you know, I tried to make Tiger sit on the computer just the other day to replicate that picture and show how much he has grown, but we wouldn't have any of that.....

We will be posting a year end summary blog soon with pictures of the rascal cat....

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,
Thanks again for obliging with pictures of the rascal.

Best,
Kelly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home