Adventures in a new land

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Hana's Birthday Week!

Big full moon (Hunter's moon) this week to celebrate Hana's Birthday...

October 25th (Thursday that was) was Hana's 7th BIRTHDAY! Goodness gracious, time does fly by when you're having fun. And of course we had to celebrate all week long (something about those people who's b-day is in October that just can't seem to settle with celebrating on their birthday only so they go on celebrating a whole month, or week....right Leslie?)

For the day of her birthday, Charlotte made some very elaborate cookies for Hana to take to school and share with her classmates. Sydney as you can see quickly volunteered to help in the cleaning job...

how Martha are those cookies eh?

That day Hana enjoyed her birthday breakfast which consisted of chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream and red licorice candy strips....hmmmm (let the teachers deal with the sugar rush) Her big party was saved for Sunday, but on Saturday a fried of Hana from school had a costume party at her house, we all went out with our costumes. Syd had a friend over for a sleepover so that they could help Charlotte on Sunday at Hana's party.

Costume Party on Saturday

Can you guess what each one is dressed up as?

Hana was some kind of "water fairy", Syd's friend a devil and Syd a "goth fairy" (oh dear...)


Can you guess who we are?

C and I tried for something less spooky this year and more culturally oriented. Unfortunately not very many people at the party knew who we were. Those who knew, knew right away. See if you can guess who we were supposed to be. If you guess right you will win a free weekend stay at our house in Hawai'i....

need a closer look?

There was someone at the party who asked if Charlotte was Van Gogh or Picasso but had no clue who I was supposed to be......

You give up? the answer will be posted on tomorrow's entry.

Hana's Party

This year Hana decided she wanted a "make up" party.....meaning all girls in her class were invited and Charlotte along with Syd and her friend were going to give all ten little devils a hairdo and make up treatment.... (I was put in charge of the grill after I suggested to cut out some templates out of cardboard paper to put on the girls' faces and just use spray paint on them to make the whole thing faster).

Which brings us to some very very sad news . My good ol' grill, friend of many battles had started to show signs of aging, and today when I went to clean it for the party, the gas distribution manifold basically crumbled in my hands.......the good ol' gas grill is gone......

For the menu Charlotte once again outdid herself! she made little pizzas (from scratch), little sandwiches cut in little shapes, cheese bread sticks (made from scratch), Hamakua Sweets tomatoes (grown by Charlotte from scratch), chicken wings (I made those), lilikoi-lemonade (made from scratch by Hana and her friend), and the biggest hit amongst the kids.... a huge barrel of cheese puffs...

Before the make up session Charlotte had all the girls play a treasure hunt..

me? at this point in the party was still crying over the loss of my friend the grill......


what a pretty bunch!


what do you think, any chance Hana has a future as a Jerry Lewis impersonator?

"hmmm, this pillow may be Hana's present, but I'm keeping it.."

And to top it all, a delicious chocolate cake baked by Charlotte....hmmm



In Memoriam (2003-2007)

You will be missed.....

6 Comments:

At 7:47 PM, Blogger Romos at Hilo said...

Ummm- you didn't mention that the pizzas were shaped like butterflies and the sandwiches sweet and meat flowers and hearts...And the "bread sticks" were cheese twists with fresh parmessan-FANCY!
AND, those hair up-dos looked much better before the rain and the trampoline!
It was a hootin'tootin' good time!
We all lament the loss of the grill...
I can't believe my little one is 7!
C

 
At 5:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but I can't wait to read the whole hana's party, I want to win the weekend at the crazy family's house, the answer is: DIEGO AND FRIDA!!
Nonna

 
At 5:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hana, you'r so lucky to have this parents, your party was great!! I'm so sorry to miss it! the food looked yummy, congratulations, sunshine!
The customes were great, Hana's look like a real fairy and Syd, looks like 18 years old beautiful girl!
I miss the whole family a lot!
Nonna

 
At 5:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Upps, I forgot to say I also lament the loss of your good friend the grill!!
Nonna again

 
At 1:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charlotte, you are the coolest parent! What a neat birthday month for Hana. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HANA!!!

Rodrigo, you are the coolest parent too. Sorry about the grill death.

Great costumes, though I didn't know who you were. Catalina, I hope you win the weekend at their house!

Leslie

 
At 1:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just have to comment again, after looking at your costumes once more. Hilarious! You two make a lovely couple. A lovely couple of nuts!!

Charlotte, you're standing like a man in that picture and I love how you look. And Rodrigo, I don't even know what to say.... It's great!!

Leslie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home