Adventures in a new land

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Surfin' in Waikiki!

Last weekend we went to Honolulu for Sydney's Kirk Banks Soccer Tournament. Her team was the Hilo Fireballs. She played one game Thursday, two on Friday and one on Saturday which meant that we had plenty of free time in our hands!

We went to the Ala Moana Shopping Mall (ugh), we took the trolley along Waikiki, we went to the water park (LOTS OF FUN!) but most of the free time we spent it in Waikiki where we rented some surfboards and the entire family tried surfin'!


Hana now has decided that when she grows up she wants to be a "professional surfer and horseback rider".....



Putting on the leash


Waiting for the right wave......


and..........KOWABUNGA! note the style!


Waikiki has got to be THE BEST beach for learning how to surf. It is wide, waves come in all sizes, it has a sandy bottom, and the weather was just perfect.


Here is a video of the two new surfing addicts of the family. We definitely need to get a water proof camera!





5 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, that is so cool that you guys surfed! And you not only got over your posting-video problem, you managed to add titles! You leapfrogged ahead of me there.

Cool post.

Leslie

 
At 5:41 AM, Blogger Romos at Hilo said...

You know what made the difference? YouTube. This last time on google video I wasn't able to bring the video no matter how I tried...
As for the hightech-oscar quality-high definition-award winning video, well I found a software that came with my computer (go figure)called windows movie maker and it allows you to paste different video clips, cut them, add titles, and all kinds of cool stuff!
How nerd is that?

:-0
RR

 
At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's excellent nerd behavior on your part, Rodrigo.

But I'm feeling a little bad that I don't have that software, so I might have to penalize you a few SPORTSMANSHIP POINTS.

I might never be able to let that go. If this ever comes up in my own daughter's life, my head might actually explode. Is this only me??? Am I just too competitive? (And is that a BAD thing?)

Leslie

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Romos at Hilo said...

well, no, it's not only you, at least there's two of us. And I'm pretty sure there is a lot more of parents out there that can't stand that "lets not compete so that we don't hurt the feelings of those kids who never win" mentality!
It goes to figure that if anyone was going to get penalized for being too competitive that certainly was going to be my team. I teach the kids to play to win, but I also teach them how to lose with dignity and also just as important how to behave when they win, but the goal in sports and in life is to play to win... (and have fun).

 
At 7:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The next time I'll be there we need to go to waikiki, because I need to see both of you surfing.
I'm so proud of my two beautiful girls.
I MISS YOU SO MUCH
Nonna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home