Adventures in a new land

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

An Agricultural Experiment: Chaos Vs Order

This week I've been weeding out the raised beds to get some stuff growing in the garden. I started some plants in seed trays with the purpose of transplanting them later. However, I also decided to sow some seeds directly into the ground in rows to see how they do.

Today, I was weeding another one of the raised beds an
d as I was pulling the weeds I was noticing how successfully weeds grow in total chaos. They are not in neat rows nor are they thinned out, yet they take over the raised beds in a blink of an eye. So my inquisitive mind began to think, what would happen if I just mixed a whole bunch of different seeds (root crops, leafy crops, and bush type crops) and just threw them randomly over the raised bed?......How would this chaos do compared to the order of the other beds?..... will one species dominate over the others?

Here is one of the raised beds before weeding. Notice the chaos of the bed, yet, the weeds all are growing very healthy...

So, it's done. As of today, two beds are plante
d in neat rows, single cultivar per row and one bed is a combination of many different seeds spread randomly over the bed..... This picture shows th
e mix of seeds used in the chaos bed.....

This are the beds for the experiment..... the one back by Mele is the Chaos bed...

Place your bets!....will chaos reign over order?...

To be continued....

2 Comments:

At 6:06 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

I have a Chaos Raised Bed and it's doing very nicely. It's more like one of your "before" pictures though (not planned!).

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger iteso1992 said...

Well.... we'll see how this turns out..... what do you have going on on your chaos bed? our last crop of bok-choi came out from a previous batch that we let go to seed and they did really good...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home